Monday, August 23, 2010

A free spirit


It's been a quiet few weeks on the blog front for me with my time focused on family and loved ones after the passing of my aunty, Sassy.

Sassy (a nickname that stuck after I struggled to get my tongue around 'Sally' as a toddler!) is my mum's younger sister and has battled with multiple sclerosis for the last 14 years. Last week, it all came to and end when she died peacefully in the nursing home where she'd spent the last six years.

I'm housesitting Mum and Dad's place at the moment and took the opportunity to go through some old family photos. Gosh, the memories . . . and the fashion faux pas! (Do love the fact my brother and my Dad are in matching navy boat shoes - classic!)

We were a very close family, sharing everything with our cousins over the years. I was the only girl cousin and loved the special attention I got from my aunty who had two boys of her own. She was always dressed well and together with Mum, they made for 'yummy mummys' back in the 80s!

Hair was always a sticking point for me as a little girl as Mum never let me grow it long - but Sassy had gorgeous long brown hair that I loved to play with. She played around with the Princess Di look, the Farrah Fawcett flick and the natural gentle wave.
Mum, on the other hand, was a fan of the perm . . .

Looking back, I can see where I got my passion for cooking and food - Sassy was a great cook and even started her own little catering company called 'Pampered Appetites'. She and Mum catered for my Granny's 60th birthday - complete with matching aprons!
Chicken finger sandwiches will just never go out of fashion, will they!? That green dress though, Mum? Hmm, another story all together!

And our crowning achievement - Sassy helped us make a croquembouche for Mum's birthday. I think I was about 9 or 10 - where was Junior Masterchef back then!?
PS. How cool is my Dad with his funky sunnies and stonewash jeans!?
Such good memories for a life cut far too short.
Sweet is the sleep that ends all pain xo

2 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

Love the old photographs and the old memories. life is precious.
Teresa

Brown Button Trading said...

oh my darling girl, I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your darling sassy, what a beautiful tribute, looking forward to catching you soon beautiful xx