Monday, February 23, 2015

How low can you go?

I can go low, very low. Low carb, that is*.


How good does that salad look?

Absolutely phenomenal - and it tastes even better!

I've been a fan of The Londoner for ages now and am working my way through her recipes. Beth put me on to this winner after I'd dabbled with the Travelling Noodles over the school holidays. They were a hit and a half, I'll tell you that much!


Anyway, thanks to my spiffy new spiralizer, I'm discovering all sorts of delicious vegetable pairings.

This low carb pad thai is a cracker and packed with flavour - and all things nutritious.

Recipe follows below, but in the spirit of transparency and being authentic, I thought I should include a pic of my attempt below. It's not pretty, but it packed a punch! A very picky and hard to please friend rated it 9/10 on Sunday night. That's good enough for me!

When you eat it with chopsticks, it even feels like a naughty takeaway deal. Fun!


To make enough for two generous portions, you’ll need:
  • 1 Cucumber
  • 2 Large carrots
  • 2 Spring onions
  • 1 Handful of fresh coriander
  • 1 Handful of fresh mint
  • 1 Handful of peanuts (roughly chopped/smashed)
  • A couple of handfuls of shredded chicken/beef/duck/prawn/tofu/omelette/whatever you fancy!

Dressing:
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 3tbsp Sesame oil
  • 3tbsp Soy sauce
  • 1tbsp Fish sauce
  • 1tbsp chilli flakes
  • 1tsbp honey
  • 1 Clove of garlic

Start by turning your carrots and cucumber into noodles/ribbons. Pop them into a large bowl. I added zucchini as well - it's a  bit firmer than the cucumber and not as watery, I really like it - adds a  bit more crunch.
Use a pair of scissors to snip the spring onions over the top.
Add your protein. I went all out on Sunday and did egg omelette, prawns and chicken. Delish!
Snip over your coriander and mint.
I also like to add bean sprouts for a bit of extra crunch.

Dressing
Peel your garlic, add the rest of the ingredients. Shake/whisk until combined. Pour over salad.
Top with crushed peanuts and serve. Ah-mazing.

*But only on the odd occasion, fear not! Nothing beats carbs for ultimate comfort meal :)

No comments: