Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Masterclass Dinner

Sometimes you just have those moments that make you smile til your cheeks hurt. Your belly aches from overindulging and your head spins with giddiness.
I had one of those last week. With the divine Pete and Michelle - aka, my better halves.
We treated ourselves to an opulent night at Penfold's Magill Estate Restaurant. OMG.
Where do I start?

Gourmet Traveller hosted a fabulous reader's night and we snapped up the hottest tickets in town at the very last minute.

As a single girl who dreams of fine dining and romantic dates, it doesn't get much better than this*




* (Can we just pretend Dr Chris from Offspring was my gorgeous, attentive partner on this occasion, please!?)


So, I'll let the food speak for itself - out of this world. I'm no food critic, so consider this the review for the everyday gal!
Salinger sparkling on arrival
Hello! Gorgeous views over the city on arrival. It was all a bit dreamlike!
Pristine Coffin Bay oyster, pomelo fibres and Avruga
Beautiful, so fresh and YUM!

Kangaroo Island marron, liquid ham and pea, leek terrine and shellfish foam
Penfolds Reserve Bin 05A Adelaide Hills Chardonnay 2005
Wow. Talk about clever - the liquid ham and pea was so surprising

Squab, gingerbread, rhubarb, aniseed and pineapple caramel
Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
OMG. Like nothing I've ever tasted. Such an interesting mix of textures and flavours. Who would've thought I'd ever try pigeon!?
Mayura Station wagyu beef, salsa verde, fermented aioli and shallot rings
Penfolds RWT Barossa Valley Shiraz 2003
Cooked to perfection. Like marshmallows. The fermented aioli was so unique
Textures of blood orange, fennel, orange powder
Gorgeous

Amedei Single Origin chocolae, honey crumble, cocoa husk and vanilla
Penfolds Bluestone Grand Tawny

So rich and so ah-mazing. The perfect finish

And to top it all off, I tried my first ever drop of Grange. Yay! I never thought this day would come. It's just as good as everyone says.

Yes, cheeks still hurting! Just try and wipe the smile from my face!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Just stumbled onto your lovely blog!! Am a new follower :)