Monday, May 9, 2011

Well bread



I'm no baker. We've been through this before - cakes, muffins, breads - the lot. They scare the life out of me and suck all the cooking confidence out of me.

My latest venture into the bakehouse was no different, but this time round, I think my dismal efforts actually created a delicious slant on an otherwise stock standard recipe.

I baked an apple and raspberry bread to take up to Clare for the Easter break but it turned out nothing like the picture and took much much longer to cook than advised - even once I took it out, I was still unconvinced it was cooked but this worked in my favour as it delivered a wonderfully thick, moist (he he Lill!) and indulgent dessert cake - rather than bread!

Let me know if you have any better luck with this recipe - was fabulous served with double cream. Mmmmm!

Apple raspberry bread
375mL jar apple sauce
1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
40g butter, melted
1/2 cup (125mL) buttermilk
1/4 cup (90g) honey *NB. tip - line your measure with a spray of canola oil, your honey will slide right out!
1 1/2 cupes (225g) plain flour
2/3 cup (100g) wholemeal self raising flour
1/2 tspn bicarb soda
250g fresh or frozen raspberries
  1. Preheat over to 170C fan forced. Grease a 12cm x 22cm loaf pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
  2. Combine apple sauce, sugar, eggs, butter, buttermilk and honey in large bowl; stir in sifted dry ingredients. Do not over-mix, mixture should be lumpy. Fold in raspberries.
  3. Spread mixture into pan; bake about 1 hour 40 minutes (mine took aaaaages longer). Stand bread in pan 10 minutes before turning, top side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
Recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly 'Easy Baking'

2 comments:

Andie @ Starts with Cupcakes said...

Haha, nice post title. Looks delicious, even if it didnt turn out quite right. Please bring some to the next Blagetti. xx

Brown Button Trading said...

that looks awesome!!! i'm hoping if i make it, it turns out like yours, looks delicious!! x