Monday, September 19, 2011

Made in Chelsea



I have a guilty pleasure to confess to.


It's a terrible new reality TV show on Foxtel, similar to The Hills, The City and dare I say . . . The Only Way is Essex.

But this is something different. It's so opulent, indulgent, excessive and over the top I'm mesmerised.

The girls are totally catty and boys have arrogance to boot. And the wealth . . . oh em gee.

Eton alumni Spencer Matthew is seriously bad news . . . but how could you say no!? Just look at him!

Read on . . .

It's time to peek behind the designer curtains of South West London and meet London's young socially elite, Made in Chelsea.


Yes, they're immaculately dressed; yes, they are fiercely ambitious; and of course they party hard. But beyond the posh accents, fast cars and polo parties, life isn't all champagne and canapés.

Doesn't it sound fabulous!? Yet completely ridiculous!
 

I'm especially taken by the show because Chelsea is one of my favourite places in the whole world. When I first landed in London seven years ago, I stayed with my friend Holly at the Chelsea Potter pub on the Kings Road for two weeks.

It was something else, walking through Sloane Square on the way to Harrod's, peering through the window of Tiffany's every day and growing accustomed to the gorgeous accents of the rich and famous.

Polo was Poh-loh and Ralph Lauren was what you wore when you felt like wearing your 'daggy clothes'

And thanks to Spencer, Caggie, Ollie et al, I can relive it every week - maybe even with a Pimms in hand!

2 comments:

Tina Kent said...

oh wow Kate! I loved that Pub too. Kings Rd was my aesthetic heaven! Everything was so perfect . . . posh food markets, men in pastel chinos, overpriced coffee because god forbid you wanted to sit down & people watch!Haven't heard of this show but it could trump gossip girl maybe!? lovT

Kate said...

Definitely trumps gossip girl Tina! It's 'scripted reality'!! Hilarious! I lived in fulham post my Chelsea stint and it was lovely, but lacked the pomp and splendour of the kings road. Oh how I dreamed of being a 'Sloanie' one day!!