Then we got talking about picnics and how much fun they can be - dipping into a picnic basket to find all sorts of wonderful morsels of bite sized treats. The pic above is just my dream day out. Throw in a couple of mags (and a cricket bat and ball for the boys), and it's the perfect catch up with friends. The gorgeous Kim from Brown Button got me started - she asked for my mum's famous chicken sandwich recipe and now all I can think about is sun-kissed picnics and shoes off in the grass!
Time to share the love - we may be entering the depths of Winter but it's only fair to reveal my Mum's perfect picnic snack. They were a hit at my BBT Christmas Party and will fool you in to thinking it's Summer already.
Best ever chicken sandwiches
15 slices grain bread
90g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (200g) finely chopped cooked chicken1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter.
- Combine chicken, celery, sour cream, mayonnaise and nuts in bowl; mix well.
- Spread 5 slices of bread with half the chicken mixture, top with buttered bread, buttered side down.
- Spread with remaining chicken mixture, top with buttered bread, buttered side down.
- Cut crusts from sandwiches, cut sandwiches into thirds, cut each third into 2 pieces
Can be made 3 hours ahead
Storage: covered, in refrigerator