Monday, February 21, 2011

Hoi hoi hoisin!

JB and I went to the opening of an art exhibition last week and were starved by the time we got home. The glass of rose at the opening probably exacerbated the issue!
Lucky for us, I'd planned a scrummy dinner that was both healthy and filling. I'm just sorry my photo doesn't do it justice!

Hoisin pork with watercress salad

250g pork fillet
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
cooking-oil spray
350g watercress, trimmed
1/2 cup coarsely topped fresh mint
1 small green apple, sliced thinly
1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2cm piece fresh ginger, grated (I use jar stuff - about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 fresh small red thai chilli, chopped finely (if you don't have any available, sweet chilli sauce works nearly as well)

**NB. I also added radishes because when I rang Mum from the supermarket in my lunch break to find out the ingredients, she swore black and blue radishes were in the salad. I didn't agree, but Mums are always right so obliged and got home to confirm I was right, but liked the colour combo so added them anyway. They're not offensive, don't add much, but good for colour and texture.
  1. Spread pork with hoisin sauce. Spray medium frying pan with cooking oil; heat pan, cook pork (takes a lot longer than you think!). Cover pork; stand five minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, combine watercress, mint, apple and onion in medium bowl.
  3. Combine juice, soy sauce, ginger and chilli n small jug. Add to salad; toss to combine.
  4. Serve salad topped with sliced pork.
Recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly 'The 21-Day Wonder Diet'. It's fabulous. You wouldn't even know you were on a diet. Yet to actually lose any weight on it though. Go figure.

No comments: