Wednesday, October 31, 2012

No mincing my words

I am getting really good at 'pantry pie'. All different versions.

Most of them always include a legume of some sorts, tinned tomatoes and sometimes corn.

After my indulgent weekend in Melbourne (pics to come soon), I am running low on cash and need to get creative with my pantry staples.

Luckily, my freezer is full of meat from my recent trip to Jourdanne's farm.

So this morning I took out some sausage mince, with no real idea what I was going to do with it.

Enter the world's best sausage rolls. If I do say so myself.

They have an almost Moroccan edge. Almost.



Now, I threw it all together on the spot and have no idea how much of what I added, so just go with it.

Ingredients
Sausage mince
Fresh mint, chopped
Sunflower kernels
Red onion, chopped
Wholegrain mustard
Egg, whisked
Breadcrumbs
Cumin
Coriander seeds (ground)
Fennel (ground)
Craisins
Chilli flakes
Dukkah (for sprinkling)
Puff pastry
Extra whisked egg (for brushing)

Fry up the red onion with the spices and then add the sunflower kernels to slightly toast
Leave to cool
In the meantime, combine the mince, egg, mustard, breadcrumbs, fresh mint, craisins and then add the onion mixture
Spread the mince mixture down a sheet of puff pastry (I could fit two per sheet)
Cut into small pieces (about five per roll) and brush with extra egg
Sprinkle with dukkah and lay on a baking tray lined with baking paper
Cook in a preheated oven at 180 for about 20 minutes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum I am trying these...I still have lots of mince xx