It's the end of pay week so in an effort to save my last cherished pennies, I turned to the pantry for a cheap dinner solution!
Lentils are great - I'm no vego but I do appreciate them as a great addition to soups and a wonderful base for salad.
This soup is super (or is that souper!) dooper easy, filling and yes . . . cheap as chips!
Spiced lentil soup
splash olive oil
1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 Tbspn curry powder (yes, I'm throwing it in everything lately!)
1 cup dried red lentils (french are also good, but you'll need to cook them longer)
400g diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 or so sprigs finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Heat oil and add garlic and onion and cook, stirring until softened
- Add curry powder and stir until ftragrant (only about 30 seconds or so)
- Add lentils (uncooked), tomato, stock and two cups of water and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and leave to simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until soup has thickened and lentils are tender
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley on top