Monday, October 10, 2011

Not your average rice bowl


I've bombed out again in the food styling and photography stakes, but this recipe was just too good not to share with you (and in my defense, I was feeding a hungry 7 month pregnant mama and didn't have time to fluff around for a photo!)

So here's the professional's shot . . .



Once again, I have Donna Hay to thank. This recipe is just SO easy and full of flavour. I'll definitely be using it as a base for lots of other flavours from now on.

Spicy Chicken, Pumpkin and Roasted Garlic Rice
Serves 2-3



2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, skin on (I used skinless)
350g pumpkin, peeled and chopped (about half a small butternut)
1 head garlic, cloves separated
2tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2cups cooked brown rice (I use the packet stuff, eek!)
1 cup torn basil leaves (I went with coriander and loved it)
¼ cup (60ml) white wine vinegar
2tablespoons olive oil, extra
  1. Preheat oven to 220ÂșC.
  2. Place the chicken, pumpkin, garlic, olive oil and chilli on a baking tray and toss to combine.
  3. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
  4. Squeeze the garlic from the skins and place in a bowl with the pumpkin, rice, basil, vinegar and extra olive oil.
  5. Mix well to combine.
  6. Slice the chicken and serve with the rice.

1 comment:

Gild and Grace said...

Looks delicious Kate! Will have to try it out :)
Abbey x