Happy Easter to you all!
My four day long weekend is almost non-existent as I'll be working, but Mum and I have managed to fit in some quality time in the kitchen. Last night, we made Donna Hay Hot-Cross Cookies for me to take to a dear friend's wedding working bee today.
Then I flogged the old school mix-master and whipped up a pav for 'linner' (the reverse of brunch ie. lunch mixed with dinner) with some old workmates. Seafood pizzas are on the menu. Yum.
Used this pav recipe that I tried out with my brother a few weeks ago. Solid.
How are you making the most of the long weekend?
125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup sultanas
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160C. Place the butter and brown sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and vanilla, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon rind, flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, milk and sultanas and beat until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll tablespoonsful of the dough into balls and place on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 14–15 minutes or until light golden. Allow to cool on trays.
- To make the icing, place the icing sugar and water in a bowl and mix until a paste forms. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 3mm nozzle and pipe a cross over each cookie. Allow to set. Makes 40.