How are you all coping with Winter? I love the comfort food that's associated with this time of year but am getting sick of the same old same old sides - heavy, stodgy and waist-line hating evils.
Yes, I'm talking potato gratin, duck fat roast potatoes, creamy mash and the lot.
There seem to be so many more options in Summer.
I am a meat and three veg girl from way back and have found a way to combine the warming nature of roast veggies with the lightness of a salad.
This salad is perfect with pork and I'd love some speck or chorizo tossed through. I have served with roast lamb and marinated chicken breast too, so easy!
Now, I've kind of adopted this recipe and made it my own with no clear cut measurements. So apologies if you're a precise kind of cook and this drives you nuts!
Roast pear and fennel balsamic salad
1-2 beurre bosc pears, cored and sliced into wedges
1 fennel bulb, sliced into wedges
1 red onion, peeled and chopped into wedges
half a bag of baby spinach
1 Tbspn olive oil (or a light spray)
1-2 Tbspn balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
- Lightly spray a roasting tray and put the oven on at 180C
- Scatter the pear, onion and fennel pieces over the roasting tray
- Pour the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the fruit and veg and scatter with salt and pepper
- Put tray in the oven for about 35 mins or so or until the pears are soft and slightly coloured
- Remove from oven and add spinach leaves to warm mixture, stir through until spinach slightly wilted
- Best enjoyed still warm with a side of pork