Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ohhhhh-begine

I love dips. Love 'em. 

And I was thrilled when let in on a family secret recipe during my recent trip to Kangaroo Island. It's a Turkish recipe and is so easy I am never buying store bought dips again.

We shall call this 'eggplant dip'. Original, hey?


1. Take three eggplants and peel off the skin in stripes (we call it pyjamas)


2. Dice the eggplant into small cubes (less than 1cm cubed)


3. Put all the diced eggplant in a bowl and cover with water and a sprinkling of salt.
4. Leave to rest for 15 minutes


5. Drain the eggplant and heat about 1-2Tbs olive oil in a frying pan.
6. Stir fry the eggplant until reduced and a change in colour - it should be slightly mushy, but not have lost its shape too much. Takes about 10 mins


7. Crush three cloves of garlic into the eggplant and stir through in a separate bowl (one clove per eggplant - you can change the amounts to suit how much you need)


8. Leave the eggplant mix to cool and when cool, add a tub of natural yoghurt (add as much or as little as you like, depending on how chunky you like it. Think of it like a chunky eggplant tzatziki.


9. Enjoy with pita crisps as a dip, or use as a side dish for main courses. Great with Turkish pizza!

Go on, try it!

Thanks Aylin for the recipe - I hope I got it right!

2 comments:

Gild and Grace said...

Looks delish Kate! Have a great week :)

Abbey x

Brooke said...

Looks great Kate. I've been looking for a good dip recipe - I'll give this one a try. Thanks!