Monday, April 25, 2011

Lest we forget

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.





I was lucky enough to visit Turkey during my two years living in London, and coordinate it so that I could be part of an ANZAC Day ceremony in Galliopli.

It was extra special meeting up with my dear friend Flavs while I was there. Such a magical feeling of comradeship and national pride.


I toured the country with a Fez bus group and got to meet some wonderful people, including a number of kiwis for whom the visit to ANZAC Cove was equally as special.


We spent hours in the cold, reserving our spot on the grass above the beach, waiting for dawn to finally arrive. Tickled pink to get my ugly mug on telly (Mum spotted me on Sunrise!) and shake hands with then Prime Minister John Howard.


Lone Pine was an eerie place to visit but a must for all Australians visiting Turkey.


So today, when we pay tribute to our fallen heroes (and snack on ANZAC biscuits!), I'll take a moment to remember those early hours on the beach at ANZAC Cove where we took comfort in the safety of friends as holidaymakers enjoying our freedom . . . but where nearly 100 years ago, boys of our age and even younger put everything on the line to defend their country.

Lest we forget.

No comments: